Abuse isn’t always obvious. Here are some red flags that everyone reading this should know and note:
- Call you names and put you down
- Call or text you throughout the day to check on you
- Keep you from friends or family
- Control your $
- Threaten to hurt you, himself/herself, your pet or loved one
- Hit, Kick, Push, Punch, Slap, Pinch, Choke or Bite you
- Destroy property or throw things
- Tell you who you can see or what job you can have
- Tell you how to dress Act overly jealous
- Withhold medication or health care
- Make you have sex or do sexual acts that you don’t want to do
- Threaten to “out” you if you are gay or lesbian
- Constantly criticize Embarrass you Blame you for everything – including the abusive behavior
- What usually happens after this happens the first time is that the victim makes statements like: “My partner isn’t violent all the time – they love me” “Things will get better – they didn’t mean it” “Maybe it’s my fault” “I’m scared of what will happen if I leave them” And the abuse continues.
- Remember, most relationships start off with each person acting their best and seeing the other with rose-colored glasses. It never starts off on an abusive note.-
I discuss this more in my new book, “Relationship Impossible” which can be preordered now on Amazon. Click here to order now!
More excerpts to come!